12.17.2011

Orange Cranberry Walnut Bread



I don't know about you, but I'd love a few more hours in a day this month.  Between birthdays, Christmas festivities and an anniversary thrown in there, I feel like I can't get ahead.  These events happen every year so you'd think I'd know better and start planning and shopping waaaay before December but it always manages to sneak up on me.  Then I'm scrambling to fit everything in and come January I'm ready to go into hibernation.

I take solace in the fact that I know I'm not the only one who is a little overwhelmed with all the busyness this time of year.  That's when having a few quick breads in your arsenal comes in handy.  Just in case you remember two hours before your party that you were supposed to bring a treat. Avoid a panic attack and whip this up instead. 


Orange Cranberry Walnut Bread

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons orange zest
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 large egg
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 1/2 cups cranberries, coarsely chopped

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.

In a small bowl combine sugar and orange zest.  Mix together with fingers to incorporate orange oils into the sugar.  In another small bowl, stir together milk, sour cream, butter, and egg; set aside.  Whisk together flour, orange zest sugar mixture, salt, and  baking powder in large bowl. Stir liquid ingredients into the dry until just moistened. Gently stir in cranberries and pecans. Do not overmix.

Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth surface with a rubber spatula. Bake 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees; continue to bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, about 45 minutes longer. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool completely before serving, at least 1 hour.

lightly adapted from Sweet Pea's Kitchen





1 comment:

  1. I love this bread! I think I've had a variation of it before...and your picture is absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete