9.06.2011

Pumpkin Spice Latte Ice Cream




In honor of one of my favorite seasons, Pumpkin Spice Latte season, I thought I would post an ice cream recipe I created last week when I just couldn't wait one minute longer to have something pumpkin-y, spicy and latte-y.  It was about 300 degrees outside though so a hot cup of anything was not going to happen.  I just took my usual basic ice cream recipe, crossed it with David Lebovitz's pumpkin ice cream recipe and added a few spices.  It was heavenly and enough to tie me over until today when the drink finally hit the stores nationwide.

Pumpkin Spice Latte Ice Cream


2 C. heavy cream
1 C. whole milk
3/4 C. pumpkin puree
1/2 C. sugar
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. espresso powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. cloves
pinch of salt
1 egg yolk

Mix together both sugars, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in a small bowl.  In a large saucepan, combine heavy cream, whole milk and pumpkin puree over medium heat.  Add the sugar mixture to the saucepan and whisk together until smooth.  Continue to cook over medium heat until bubbly and thickened, about 10 minutes.  In another small bowl, whisk the egg yolk.  Slowly add about a half cup of hot cream mixture and whisk constantly.  Pour the now warm egg back into the saucepan and heat to 170 degrees.  Transfer ice cream base to another bowl and chill at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.  Freeze according to ice cream manufactures instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment